There is now some Review Material available on the site.
The Review Notes for 7 papers in part A have been posted.
These Review Notes are being created for the technical papers. Specifically, the following papers will not have Review Notes: IAA, Brooks, Marshall, & Patrik.
The following Material has been published
- IAA Lessson, & Updated Study Manual
- Brooks Lesson & Updated Study Manual
I’ve also reposted the Syllabus.
It includes the average weight of each paper on the prior exams. It’s very interesting to see that IAA & Brooks actually receive very little weight on the exams. I’ve left the original weights I had on there, but I no longer expect those two papers to receive 28% of the points, something closer to 8-12% is more likely (8% over the last 2 years).
It also has a list of which questions correspond to which paper.
In case you missed it, Marshall, Study Manual and Lesson was published last week.
Frachot, Study Manual, Exercises and Lesson were published today (March 3rd)
There were some corrections made in a few papers - typos and arithmetic mistakes. These are disclosed in the Errata.
Every Paper now has a study manual.
I am working on preparing the following material:
Lessons: IAA & Brooks
Practice Problems: Marshall, Shapland Leong, Brooks, & IAA
During the Review Period, we will also publish:
- Review Notes - these summarize the core concepts and formulas, into just a few pages. They are intended for review
- Only the Technical papers will have Review Notes - as that is where they are most useful
- The Mack (1994) Review Note from 2012 is available, so you can see what these look like
- Practice Exam
Remember to post in the Forum. If I haven’t answered your question in a couple of days, bump your question. I’ll get to it as soon as I can.
The CAS updated the Syllabus today:
- Hurlimann - You are now responsible for the entire paper (excluding proofs)
- Shapland & Leong - Corrections made - most of these were discussed in the errata posted
- Sahasrabuddhe - Corrections made - these were discussed in the study manual and lesson
I’ll post an addendum to the study manual to cover the additional material in Hurlimann.
I’ll make changes to the Shapland Leong study manual to take into account the various changes.
The Sahasrabuddhe manual already took these changes into account, so no update is required.
The CAS comments:
The CAS Syllabus Committee has revised the Exam 7 Syllabus to correct the cited page numbers of the Hurlimann paper. In addition, errata have been posted for Sahasrabuddhe and Shapland & Leong papers.
Please download a new version of the syllabus, and the two erratas.
The Errata file was updated
There were changes to:
- Goldfarb - Exercises
- Siewert - Past Exam Question Solutions
You can download the whole paper, or you can download just the updated pages.
Just a reminder about the forum. We set it up, so you can ask questions of each other and myself. I had fallen a bit behind in answering questions, but I’m making my way through the outstanding questions now
The following material is now updated
- Venter Copulas (45 minutes of lessons added)
- McNeil (with new exercises)
- Mango & Venter (with new exercises)
I’ve been away from the forum the last 10 days or so. I’ll be going through the backlog of questions there over the next day or so, and then I will release Marshall after that.
To assist in the study of the Feldblum and Venter Copulas papers, I’ve created an introduction to Copulas study manual and lesson. These are intended as an introduction, and background for the two syllabus papers. They were posted today.
Feldblum The first half of this paper is very doable, there are some calculations you’ll need to know how to do, and these have been tested the last two years. The copulas concepts are tricky to understand. The introduction material I’ve prepared should help with that.
Brooks This paper is not mathematical, but rather discusses what is best practice for an actuary who is doing work to comply with Solvency II regulation (which has not yet been implemented).
Please go read and post in the forum. I give more color on the papers there, and am answering questions.
The following material has been posted
I made minor corrections to a handful of papers. Please check the Errata for the details.
There are a number of minor updates the last few days. I’ve started to put more detail in the Discussion Forum, rather then here.
- Shapland Leong - errata published after discussion with author
- Sahasrabuddhe - Exercises published, and section 3.3 redone
- Comments on all of the Week 4 papers are posted in the Discussion Forum
The following material was posted:
- Shapland Leong
- Goldfarb (including 5 years of problems, and some exercises)
I’m working on releasing Marshall, and providing some practice problems for Sahasrabuddhe